Powered By Blogger

Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Golden Rule

There comes a time in our lives when we realize how petty and unfortunate humanity can really be. How nosey, hypocritical, manipulative, disgusting, and all around ignorant people can be sometimes. Instead of helping one another, you'll find that people in close knit communities or minority groups are constantly putting one another down, instead of strengthening and supporting each other. You find women bashing their sisters. Men taking part in unnecessary physical or verbal drama. Countries going to war. Human killing human with no remorse or mercy. Not only will many people engage in such horrendous acts (gossip, backbiting, murder, theft, cheating etc.), but they will also try to drag you into their activities and expect you to be as low as they are. Try hard as you can to stay clean, you will still at least be accused of things you haven't done. Your reputation will become a résumé crafted by people who don't even know you, laced with "achievements" you never took part in.

It's when we realize all this that many of us will say, "well f*ck it", right? Why should I put in the effort of making this world a better place when all it's ever been and will be is a set constructed just to be destroyed by its own actors? Why should I treat others with respect, dignity and empathy when I will most likely never get the same treatment in return? Why should I try being a decent human being when even then, people will find ways to pick at me and accuse me of flaws I might not even have? I find myself asking these questions quite often, sometimes even more than once daily and lemme tell ya, it puts quite a damper on my mood. But then I remember the most golden rule of all; do unto others as you would have them do unto you. It's a staple rule in every religion, it's the cornerstone of morality, in my opinion, and it's what makes us merciful beings and not hungry predators.

No matter what people say or do to me, I always try to remember to treat others as I would like to be treated. It's a simple rule whose application is sometimes just as simple, or infinitely more complicated and difficult. It takes a plethora of patience, even more self-control and the ability to let go of all anger and resentment to say you completely live by this rule. Unfortunately though, we cannot always let go of our anger and put aside our frustrations, but we should at least try to elevate ourselves above what's petty and unnecessary. I know that I myself, am taking it as one of my goals for this Ramadan to be more mindful of the golden rule, and I hope and pray that all of you do the same. Imagine a world where people are compassionate rather than revengeful and conniving. A world as such can only exist if we look within ourselves to try to fix our own flaws, as opposed to looking at others and pointing out their faults.

As always, peace and much love to y'all and a Ramadan kareem to all who celebrate :)


And with that I'll end with this verse:

"O you who have believed, let not a people ridicule [another] people; perhaps they may be better than them; nor let women ridicule [other] women; perhaps they may be better than them. And do not insult one another and do not call each other by [offensive] nicknames. Wretched is the name of disobedience after [one's] faith. And whoever does not repent - then it is those who are the wrongdoers" (Quran 49:11) 

No comments:

Post a Comment